The following tips are from athletes using essential oils for pre and post events. Check out these natural solutions for enhance your workouts, support metabolism and healthy function of your muscles, joints and respiratory system.
Runners have had luck with rubbing down large muscles with Peppermint, Marjoram and/or soothing blend before races.
An Massage Touch treatment before and/or after a meet will help support and loosen large muscles. Include legs in the massage treatment.
Peppermint oil and Soothing oil blend are other amazing essential oil for athletes . These can be helpful before and after physical exertion. Use Peppermint oil on large muscles before long runs. Use massage blend or soothing blend after.
Place 4 drops of lemon essential oil in 16 ounces of water and drink. Apply lemongrass essential oil to calves. Load up on fish oil supplement before the race. Drink lots of water and rest.
Use 3-4 drops of Soothing Blend and 1-2 drops of Helichrysum directly on calves. Also try Massage Blend or Soothing Blend, or Lemongrass essential oils.
For occasional pressure and tension use Massage Touch blend on your back and shoulders.
For runners occasional knee discomfort use Soothing Blend then Peppermint essential oils. Also try Helichrysum and Frankincense essential oils.
For sore muscles after a run use Soothing Blend and Massage Blend or White Fir. Also try Wintergreen and Frankincense essential oils or use together.
Some runners like to use Peppermint essential oil to support breathing. Apply 4-5 drops to the chest to open airways and increase oxygen flow. Do this 5 minutes before exercise or event.
Some athletes use Grounding Essential oil for support clarity and focus.
Clove essential oil can be used to help swimmers with occasional ear discomfort. Rub it diluted behind, around and on, but not in the ear.
SHARED RECIPES from Athletes Who Use Essential Oils:
USES OF Grounding ESSENTIAL OIL BLEND:
- Support whole body relaxation – mix Grounding Blend 4 drops, Basil 3 drops, White Fir 2 drops, Lavender 3 drops and apply for quick relief. Prior to exertion apply Grounding Blend to the lower back and back of neck so that Energy flow is clear and focused on the sport – for swimming apply 15 minutes prior to jumping into the water to be effective.
USES OF BASIL:
- Before & after you exercise to sooth sore muscles and joints: Basil 4 drops, Cypress 3 drops, Rosemary 3 drops, Lavender 3 drops, coconut oil 8 drops; combine in bottle, gently shake and apply to muscles prior to exercise to enhance muscle tone and minimize soreness.
USES OF Protective BLEND:
- Protects against certain environmental threats to keep you healthy: Use oils to cleanse gym/workout equipment. Just add it to spray bottle and spray down equipment.
USES OF PEPPERMINT:
- Promotes healthy respiration and clear breathing: Inhale Peppermint oil before and during a workout to boost your mood and reduce fatigue.
- Supports Healthy Tendons: Cypress 5 drops, Roman Chamomile 5 drops, Peppermint 5 drops, and Fractionated Coconut Oil 1 tablespoon.
- Minor Bumps -Apply several drops of Peppermint Oil on fresh Bumps, Bites (stops itching).
USES OF MARJORAM:
Marjoram is a great essential oil for athletes. It may be relaxing and calming to the muscles that constrict and sometimes contribute to head tension. Marjoram can penetrate without causing extra heat sensation to the area.
- After-Sports Bath: Lavender 3 drops, Roman Chamomile 2, drops Marjoram 2 drops, Helichrysum 1 drop.
- Soothe Aching Muscles: Coconut oil 1 teaspoon, Marjoram 3 drops, Lavender 4 drops, Thyme 4 drops, Peppermint 4 drops; gently mix blend and apply to sore areas.
- Soothe Aching Muscles: Coconut Oil 1 tablespoon, Marjoram 4 drops, Geranium 5 drops, Frankincense 3 drops, Clove 2 drops, Peppermint 4 drops.
- Post-Workout Rub: Coconut Oil 1 ounce, Marjoram Oil 3 drops, Thyme Oil 2 drops, Roman Chamomile 4 drops, Lemon oil 3 drops, Cypress oil 4 drops, Peppermint oil 2 drops. Mix gently and massage the mixture into your muscles and joints.
- Relief Mix: Coconut Oil 1 teaspoon, Marjoram 4 drops, White Fir 2 drops, Cypress 4 drops, Peppermint 3 drops. Gently mix and apply to area every 1⁄2 hour for first 4 hours and then every few hours as needed.
USES OF LEMONGRASS:
Lemongrass Oil can enhance your athletic performance. (Brings highly oxygenated cells from your lungs to enhance the energy you need for a better physical performance.) After exercising, is very helpful in promoting the relief of build up of lactic acid in the muscles. Lemongrass has also been reported to be very effective for soothing aching muscles and joints.
- Bump Blend: 5 drops Helichrysum, 4 drops Cypress, 3 drops Lavender, 3 drops Lemongrass, and 3 drops Geranium.
- Massage blend for sore muscles: Lemongrass 3 drops, Basil 4 drops, Clary Sage 5 drops, Fractionated Coconut Oil 8 drops, apply upward motion toward torso; Wait 10 minutes and then if need to reapply.
- Relief Blend: apply directly to the area, Lemongrass 2 drops with Fractionated Coconut Oil 2 drops or Lavender 2 drops or Basil 2 drops – mix your combo choice; Apply to the area and wait 6 minutes before reapplying. A little will work faster than a lot.
USES OF MELALEUCA and LAVENDER as essential oil for athletes
- For mild skin irritations: Apply to the affected skin areas daily with a blend of 2 ounces of coconut oil, 50 drops of Melaleuca, and 25 drops of Lavender - if very sensitive skin dilute a little more - a detox bath may help - remember to use Epsom Salts in baths to disperse oils throughout the water - not just ride on the surface.
- Distressed skin spray: 15 drops of Melaleuca, 15 Lavender, and fill remainder of vial with Fractionated Coconut Oil. Sprays are placed in 15 ml amber glass vials with spray top.