1. WINDOW and GLASS CLEANER– These products generally contain ammonia. Ammonia is very irritating the skin, eyes and respiratory system. It will react with chlorinated products (other household cleaners) to produce a fatal chloramine gas.
2. AIR FRESHENERS - Conventional air fresheners coat your nasal passages with an oil film called methoxychlor, which will kill the nerves in your nose over time, and interfere with your ability to smell. Breathing chemicals is much the same as drinking them. YIKES!
3. ANTI-BACTERIAL CLEANERS - Along with new antibiotic-resistant “super-bugs,” the Centers for Disease Control says that anti-bacterial cleaners can also interfere with the immune system development in kids. These conventional anti-bacterial agents also contain triclosan which can be absorbed by the skin and cause liver damage.
4. BLEACH – We all know it's strong, but bleach is an extreme corrosive that will burn your skin, eyes and respiratory system. NEVER mix bleach with ammonia products, as fatal fumes will be produced. Your home becomes a chemistry lab and you and your family become the experiment.
5. CONVENTIONAL LAUNDRY DETERGENT – Most laundry detergents contains phosphorus, ammonia, naphthalene, phenol, sodium nitilotriacetate, to name a few. These can cause rashes, itchiness, dryness and sinus problems. Remember your skin is your largest organ and everything it comes in contact can be absorbed. If it's on you, it will go in you. These chemicals are easily absorbed through your skin from your clothes and bed sheets.
6. DRAIN CLEANER - Drain cleaner typically contains sodium hydroxide or sulfuric acid, which can cause blindness if splashed in the eyes.
7. OVEN CLEANER – Conventional oven cleaners are highly toxic. Most cleaners contain extremely corrosive bases of sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide.
8. BLEACH BASED CLEANING POWDERS
- Many of these cleaning powders such as ‘Comet’ or ‘Ajax’ contain formaldehyde (a known human carcinogen recognized by the World Health Organization) benzene, chloroform and so many other toxic chemicals. Side effects can include: cancer, asthma and reproductive disorders. This is something I used before I bathed my kids to "clean" the bath tub. I had no idea what I was doing to them as they sat in the residue of these chemicals and you know they would drink it.
9. FURNITURE POLISH – Traditional furniture polish such as ‘Pledge’ contains nitrobenzene. Thisd is extremely toxic and easily absorbed through the skin.
10. TOILET BOWL CLEANERS - Contains hydrochloric acid, which is corrosive to the skin and eyes. I remember getting burned by this in my chemistry labs.
DISHWASHER DETERGENT – Contain a highly concentrated form of dried chlorine, every time you wash your dishes residue is left on the dishes. So, when you use these dishes to eat with you actually consume these chemicals.Over time all these toxic chemicals can take a toll on your body. You may not see the effects now, but think of all the chemicals over our life time we expose ourselves and our families to. It's time to get educated and make a change.
Visit this site to read more info on toxic household cleaners.
Convinced? The good news is that making your own is cost effective and easy. One simple way to start making your own ECO friendly cleaners is by using a few common household ingredients and your essential oils. That's all it takes. It’s inexpensive, easy AND THEY ACTUALLY WORK AS WELL IF NOT BETTER THAN CONVENTIONAL CLEANERS.
[caption id="" align="alignleft" width="150"]
DIY Green Cleaning Recipes[/caption]
You may be open to making your own cleaning products, if so check out my DIY Green Cleaning Recipes.
Important Disclaimer: None of the health related topics presented on Discover Natural Solutions have been evaluated or approved by the FDA. They should not replace personal judgment nor medical treatment when indicated. They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Reading this website denotes your understanding and agreement to our full disclaimer.