We Recently Had Pink Eye In Our Home
My husband woke up with red eyes and was in a lot of pain. He went to the eye doctor to discover he had pink eye. Here is what we did!
What is Pink Eye?
Pinkeye (also called conjunctivitis) is redness and swelling of the conjunctiva, the mucous membrane that lines the eyelid and eye surface. The lining of the eye is usually clear. If irritation or infection occurs, the lining becomes red and swollen. (source
What Causes it?
Most cases of pinkeye are caused by:
- Infections caused by viruses or bacteria.
- Dry eyes from lack of tears or exposure to wind and sun.
- Chemicals, fumes, or smoke (chemical conjunctivitis).
Viral and bacterial pinkeye are contagious and spread very easily. (source
What is the common medical treatment?
Since most pinkeye is caused by viruses for which there is usually no medical treatment. (source
What natural solution can I try?
There are a lot of options when it comes to trying something non-mainstream. One of my favorites is this:
- 1 drop each of melaleuca & lavender
- rub around the eye bone (take care to not get it in the eye)
- for small children it is usually recommended to apply while they sleep so they don’t rub their eyes