A simple trip to the grocery store to pick up bread, milk, and eggs can sometimes turn into a two-trip ordeal because you forget to get one of the three items listed. Getting distracted and forgetting things happens to all of us. It is a fairly normal part of our day.
There are steps you can take to naturally boost your focus and bring a little more productivity into your day! Below are THREE things you can do:
START YOUR DAY OFF RIGHT
A healthy, balanced breakfast is a great way to get started. Did you know that consuming a hard-boiled egg for breakfast can improve your ability to focus during the day? Choline — a nutrient found in the vitamin B group — has been linked to better performance on verbal and visual memory tests in adults.
It is also a great time to take your vitamins and drink a full glass of water.
SIMPLE BEHAVIORS TO BOOST FOCUS
A great way to experience effective, natural concentration boosters is to develop a few simple and healthy behaviors during the day.
When you inhale an essential oil (or other aroma), the olfactory bulb is activated and directly links to the brain processes that stimulate and encourage neural connections. The simple act of diffusing an essential oil like lavender in the classroom, or inhaling peppermint from a bottle, can have immediate and effective impact on the learner. Simple yet powerful suggestions through both single oils or blends and remedies have demonstrated that essential oils and nutritional support are powerful tools for supporting proper brain function, including focus and concentration!
- Exercise-when you do aerobic exercises, this helps boost catecholamines--a type of neurotransmitter that supports concentration levels. A jog or even a brisk walk outside during a break at work or school can help improve focus.
- Write it Down-Keep lists or a pad where you can jot things down. It is much easier to stay on task when you have something to refer back to after an inevitable interruption in your day.
- Noise Canceling Headphones-If you find that you are easily drawn away by others, wearing headphones can help block out some of the outside sounds that can often be disturbing and distracting. This simple tool can make a big difference.
Here are a few favorites I use for myself and my family:
- Blend 2-4 drops frankincense or grapefruit with a few drops of carrier oil and massage temples.
- Apply vetiver on feet or base of neck.
- Combine frankincense with wild orange or peppermint; inhale or sniff.
- In a ⅓ ounce roller bottle combine 20 drops each of wild orange, peppermint; fill the rest of the bottle with fractionated coconut oil and apply.
- Combine 1-2 drops each cedarwood, lavender, and vetiver and apply. Recipe can also be used in a 10ml roller bottle with a carrier oil. Place 7-13 drops of each oil depending on user’s preference of aromas.